You are viewing archived content from an old version of the Pilgrim Lodge website.

It is provided for historical reference only. Most of this information is incorrect or out of date.

Please see our main site for the latest information about Pilgrim Lodge!
View a page about Balbrook Lodge from "West Gardiner's Hundred Years"
1950 Centennial booklet


Pilgrim Lodge History through its Postcards


Photos of the Pilgrim Lodge Staff from previous years



Pilgrim Lodge History

See Historical Photos (use arrows to browse photos)

Pilgrim Lodge History through its POSTCARDS

Photos of the Pilgrim Lodge Staff from previous years

In 1956, after thirty years of events held all over the state, the youth camping program of the Maine conference found a home at Pilgrim Lodge in West Gardiner.  For $35,000  the Congregational Christian Conference of Maine (now called The Maine Conference of the United Church of Christ) acquired 85 acres of the former Balbrook Lodge.  A total of $95,000 was raised by churches, youth, fellowship groups and individuals from throughout the Maine Conference for the purchase and renovation of the camp.  Two years later we purchased two islands just off the shore on lake Cobbosseecontee for $600.  With the purchase of Pilgrim Lodge we were able to expand our youth ministry to host full summers of programs for youth and adults, and the entire family. 
In 1999 the Maine conference purchased an adjacent 15 acres, two buildings and a right-of-way through the camp.  This property was part of the original Balbrook Lodge.  It is called the "JBJ property ."  The owners named to property by taking the first initial of each of their three sons. By housing camp staff, the new property allows us to use former staff cabins for program space.  Absorbing the right-of-way protects our existing program. 
Today Pilgrim Lodge has grown into a vibrant and vital ministry.  Tens of thousands of young people and adults have been nurtured, inspired and renewed through its programs.

Footage from Balbrook Lodge in 1935

Before 1956, our site was a private camp called Balbrook Lodge.  Enjoy

click here for the story about the footage